Mar 17, 2010

FINALLY posting: January's fabulous KTC cakes!

Well, this post is purely hearsay, since I didn’t personally attend. However, I have word from a reliable source that a good and cake-filled time was had by all! And by “reliable source,” of course I mean our gal Joyce, who sent this email:

“Shawn, Mike, Fernando, you missed some amazing food from Frank's hands and some fancy cake decorating ala everyone. We had a good time and appreciated the potential for artistic expression. Fernando, you would so have loved the sculptural aspects of this event! And since the skills are hard to perfect, I am sure we will make another opportunity for this in the future. Piping tips - Mike, bigger is not necessarily better. It is the variety of sizes that make fine art and William definitely had the right instruments!! Ohh, sorry Jessica.

:-)

Smooch

Joyce

Wow! Cake decorating skills, AND life lessons. Only in our cooking group do these two topics meld so seamlessly!

Fernando and I were very sorry to have missed Frank’s return dinner (Short ribs? Without us? I only cried a little…), and sorry to have missed our chance to decorate a cake. Sadly, at the very moment the subtleties of piping were being discussed, Fernando and I were landing in Salt Lake for a week in Deer Valley, a fancy-pants ski resort in Park City. It was the same weekend as Sundance, and we saw a couple of Hollywood folks at the airport – Diego Luna and Juliette Lewis! That was kind of exciting, and little bit satisfying, too – Poor Juliette Lewis had to sit around and wait on her shuttle just like we peons did, and the shuttle company goons didn’t appear to be any nicer to her than to us!

While the other Kissers were sleeping off a frosting-induced coma the next day, Fernando and I were up early doing things like renting skis and trying on boots and buying extra socks. Because it was 14 degrees. And snowing. With no cake.

Yes, F and I were sorry to miss the fun, but Joyce is amazing and shared some photos with us! I’ve cropped them down to display the baked goods in question (in case folks feel funny about having pics online—however, let me know and we can definitely include the whole photo.) and now I’m even sorrier to have missed it. I do love a good cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment