Jan 6, 2010

Seattle's teriyaki scene in the New York Times

Fascinating! Especially since I don't believe I've eaten teriyaki since we've lived in Seattle...They had me at "This isn't Dallas." Could it be time to expand my teriyaki-related horizons?

Article found here.



Great quotes from the piece:

“Seattle has a thousand teriyakis,” Mrs. Ko said one afternoon...This is Seattle food,” she said, extending her argument. “For Seattle people. This is what we eat here. Seattle people eat teriyaki. This isn’t Dallas.”

“Seattle likes to talk about local foods, about ridiculous things like fiddlehead coulis,” Mr. Berger said. “Seattle yuppies love the idea of going to some obscure Chinese place for dim sum but won’t dare tell you that they eat chicken teriyaki. Those places are so much a part of the streetscape that we can’t even see them.”

“The Washington State Restaurant Association has identified 83 Seattle restaurants with teriyaki in their name, including I Love Teriyaki and I Luv Teriyaki. (A concurrent search yielded about 40 restaurants named Burger King, McDonald’s or Wendy’s.)”


via The Food Section

No comments:

Post a Comment